Junior permit

Junior permit DEFAULT

What is a junior driver permit?

If you are over 14 and under 18, you may apply for a Junior Permit (also known as a Junior License) if one of the following circumstances exists: If a family member who usually drives you is ill and taking a bus (or other transportation) isn't an option.

Click to see full answer.

Also asked, what is a junior driving permit?

Junior Permit - The Junior Permit is for California residents who are at least 14 but less than 18 years of age and can show a present hardship that requires them to drive alone. These hardships can sometimes include: An illness in the family. School. Work.

Subsequently, question is, is a junior license the same as a learner's permit? The Difference Between Junior License and Junior Learner's Permit. The main difference between a junior license and junior learner's permit is that the latter requires a supervising driver over the age of 21 at all times, while a junior license only requires a supervising driver at certain times (see more below).

Similarly, it is asked, who can you drive with a junior license?

Junior Driver's LicenseTeens with junior driver's licenses are allowed to drive on their own, but must follow certain restrictions. Teens may not drive with more than one unrelated passenger under 21. The holders of a junior driver's license may not drive in the city of New York.

What happens if you get pulled over with a junior license?

Your junior permit, license, or privileges will be suspended for 60 days if you are convicted of one serious traffic violation or two other violations that were committed while you held a junior permit or license. A "serious traffic violation" is normally a violation that carries three or more driver violation points.

Sours: https://askinglot.com/what-is-a-junior-driver-permit

Junior Permit - The Junior Permit is for California residents who are at least 14 but less than 18 years of age and can show a present hardship that requires them to drive alone. These hardships can sometimes include: An illness in the family.

Click to see full answer

Hereof, can you get a driving permit at 14 in California?

Application for Junior Permit DL 120. Restricted licenses may be issued, under certain hardship conditions, to a qualified minor at least 14 years old, but under 18, who does not meet the requirements for a provisional license. The Driver License or Identification Card Application must be completed.

Similarly, how do you get a junior license? After having held a learner's permit for at least 6 months, teens may apply for a junior driver's license. The teen must also have completed a pre-licensing course and 50 hours of practice driving. Teens must schedule and pass a road test, then will be issued a junior driver's license.

Correspondingly, can you drive alone with a permit to school in California?

A provisional permit does not let you drive alone—not even to a DMV office to take a driving test. A high school instructor may issue you a student license if you are over 15 1/2 years old and have the written consent of your parents. A student license lets you drive only during school or professional driver training.

Can I get my license at 17 without a permit in California?

*Note: If you are over 17 ½ but under 18 years old, you can get your permit without providing driver education and driver training certificates. As soon as you pass your written test and fulfill these other requirements, you will be issued a California driver's permit.

Sours: https://findanyanswer.com/what-is-a-junior-permit-in-california
  1. Fiberglass spade shovel
  2. Carmax conversion van
  3. Vanguard investment company
  4. Lex to phx

Junior Driver's License

In order to apply for a Vermont Junior Driver’s License, you will need proof that you are a Vermont Resident or a Visiting Citizen of a Foreign Country with an authorized duration of stay with at least 30 days remaining.

You will need documentation to establish your identity. More information...


An individual must have maintained a ‘clean’ driving record without any Learner’s Permit recalls suspensions or revocations for a six (6) month period prior to obtaining a Junior Driver’s License.

An individual must possess a Learner’s Permit for at least one (1) year prior to obtaining a Junior Driver’s License.

A Junior Driver’s License is issued to persons 16 or 17 years old who pass the required examination. Your parent or legal guardian must sign your application giving permission for you to be tested.

Before getting a license, all 16 and 17-year-olds must have passed a state-approved driver education and training course consisting of 30 hours of classroom study, 6 hours behind-the-wheel training, and 6 hours of observation. The Vermont Department of Education, Driver Education Division, has driver education courses at high schools. There are also Vermont commercial driver training schools that offer driver training courses. A wallet-sized certificate will be issued to those who pass the course.  In addition to the hours indicated above, you must complete 40 hours of driving practice, with at least 10 hours being nighttime driving. Nighttime driving is considered driving during the period of 30 minutes after sunset, to 30 minutes before sunrise.

How to Obtain

  1. A Vermont Learner’s Permit that is not expired. A person may take a road test if their Learner’s Permit has not been expired more than 3 years and has been renewed prior to the exam. If it has been expired more than 3 years a written exam would be required before the road test can be given.
  2. Successful completion of a driver education course, certified by the Vermont Agency of Education or the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles.
  • Your instructor must have logged your completion in the Driver Education Certification Service before a Driving Test can be administered.
  • Out-of-state driver’s education is only acceptable if the course was taught by a certified and/or licensed driver education instructor and includes both classroom and behind-the-wheel training. If the completion certificate was not issued by a state agency, the applicant must provide documentation on state letterhead from the appropriate agency indicating that a recognized driver education program issued the certificate, and must list the minimum requirements for successful completion of the program.

  1. A Driving Practice Log Sheet (or us the RoadReady App) showing you have completed an additional 40 hours of practice behind the wheel, with at least 10 hours being nighttime driving. Your parent or guardian must certify the Driving Practice Log Sheet. Note: The law requires the 40 hours of driving practice be in addition to the 6 hours of behind-the-wheel driving required for successful completion of driver education.
  2. You need your parent's or legal guardian's permission (unless emancipated minor). A parent or legal guardian must sign the application before you can take the test. If you are a foreign exchange student, you must obtain in advance a Foreign Exchange Parental Authorization Form, to be signed by a parent or legal guardian.  Your host parent cannot sign this form. This form is available at Motor Vehicles offices.
  3. You must enter your Social Security Number on the application or provide a letter from the Social Security Administration indicating ineligibility to receive a Social Security Number. More Information...
  4. Schedule an appointment for an exam.
  5. Have a vehicle that is clean, in good mechanical condition, legal, with a valid inspection sticker. Be sure the emergency/parking brake is working properly. More information...
  6. Be prepared: Check for a valid insurance card as required by Vermont Law and vehicle registration before arriving for your appointment. Failure to show a valid insurance card and a registration certificate will prevent testing. The insurance card must state the name of the insurance carrier, effective and expiration dates of coverage, the name of the insured, and the description of the vehicle including the vehicle identification number.
  7. Your license will be issued after you pass the road test and pay the fees.

Transferring an Out-of-State Junior Driver’s License (applicants under 18)

You may convert your out-of-state Junior Driver’s License and obtain a Vermont Junior Driver’s License by: (1) successfully passing the required examinations; (2) providing proof (see What Do I Need to Get a Junior Driver’s License, #2 above) of successful completion of a state-approved Driver Education program; (3) providing proof of completion of an additional 40 hours of driving.

If you have a Junior Driver’s License from another state and apply for a Vermont Junior Driver’s License you will be subject to Vermont's Graduated License provisions unless you have held the Junior Driver’s License in the other state for a period of at least six months.

What restrictions are on a Junior Driver’s License?

A Junior Driver’s License is considered a provisional license. The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles may take your license away if you show that you are an unsafe driver through your actions. Your license may also be taken away if your parent or guardian withdraws their permission for you to drive.

While holding a Junior Driver’s License, you cannot operate a vehicle in the course of your employment for one (1) year following the issuance of the Junior Driver’s License.  For example, an individual cannot act as a pizza delivery person (driver) until they have had their Junior Driver’s License for one (1) year, or until they reach the age of eighteen (18), whichever comes first.

While holding a Junior Driver’s License, an individual may not carry passengers for hire.

During the first three (3) months of operation under a Junior Driver’s License, the individual is restricted to driving alone. Passengers are permitted only if there is a licensed and unimpaired parent or guardian, or a licensed or certified unimpaired driver education instructor, or a licensed and unimpaired individual 25 years of age or older riding in the front seat. If one (1) of those individuals is in the vehicle, there is no restriction on the number of passengers. However, the driver is not allowed to transport more passengers than there are safety belts.

During the second three (3) months of operation under a Junior Driver’s License, the individual may begin transporting family members.

After holding a Junior Driver’s License for six (6) months, there is no restriction on the number of passengers they can transport in the vehicle. However, the driver is not allowed to transport more passengers than there are safety belts.

A person shall not use any portable electronic device while operating a motor vehicle. This includes reading, and the manual composing or sending of electronic communications (including text messages, instant messages, and emails). Portable electronic devices include, but are not limited to, cellular telephones, personal digital assistants (PDA), tablets/iPads, and laptop computers.

Sours: https://dmv.vermont.gov/Junior-Drivers-License
Looking For A Driver - Automatic Freightliner

Learn about the requirements for teens to obtain a driver’s license in New York and what insurance is required.

New York requires teens to hold a learner's permit before obtaining a junior license but also imposes many specific restrictions on teen drivers.

Instruction Permit

At age 16, New York teens can apply for a learner's permit. The application must be signed by the teen's parent or guardian and include proof of residency, a form of identification, and a social security card. Unless already completed during a driver's education course, the applicant will need to pass a vision exam and a test covering local traffic signs and traffic laws. The test also covers impaired driving, road work zones, and road rage.

A learner's permit allows for the holder to operate a vehicle under the supervision of a licensed driver (who's at least 21 years old) from the front seat. Between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., the teen must be supervised by a parent, guardian, or driver's education instructor. However, some regional exceptions apply:

  • In New York City, the holder must be supervised by a parent, guardian, or driver's education instructor, and the vehicle driven must have dual controls for both driver and supervisor and may only be operated from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • In Nassau and Suffolk counties, the holder may drive only from 5 a.m. until 9 p.m. and only under the supervision of a parent, guardian, driver's education instructor, or parent-authorized licensed driver who's at least 21 years old.

Permit holders are not allowed to carry more than one non-family member passenger who's under 21 years old unless supervised by a parent, guardian, or driver's education instructor. Additionally, all occupants must wear seatbelts.

Junior License

After holding the instruction permit for six months (without license suspension), a 16-year-old teen can apply for a junior driver's license. The application must be signed by a parent or guardian and include a signed driving log recording 50 hours of supervised driving time (including 15 nighttime hours). Additionally, the teen must complete a certified pre-licensing course and include the certificate of completion with the application. Then, with proper proof of identity and the application fee, the applicant can take the driving test to obtain a junior license.

The junior license permits the holder to drive a motor vehicle between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m. with certain exceptions:

  • Junior licensees may drive after hours for work or school purposes but must hold valid documentation.
  • Junior licensees may drive after hours under the supervision of a parent or guardian.
  • In New York City, junior license holders are not permitted to drive.
  • In Nassau and Suffolk counties, junior license holders may drive only to and from certain schools and educations programs (such as work-study, a post-secondary institution, or evening high school), to and from work between the hours of 5 a.m. to 9 p.m., or when supervised by a parent, guardian, or driving instructor.

Junior licensees may not transport more than one non-family member passenger under 21 years old unless supervised by a parent, guardian, or driver's education instructor. Passengers must always be properly restrained by a safety belt.

Parental consent. All minor driver's licenses require parental consent. At any time, a parent can withdraw consent and the license will be revoked.

Driver's License

Teens who complete driver's education can apply for an unrestricted license at 17 years old. Otherwise, an unrestricted license will be issued automatically to junior license holders once they reach 18 years old.


Before any driver can lawfully operate a vehicle in New York, the vehicle must be properly insured. New York requires residual liability insurance, personal injury protection, and uninsured coverage.

  • Mandatory liability insurance must include at least $25,000 bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 property damage per accident. The policy must also include at least $50,000 fatality coverage per person and $100,000 fatality coverage per accident.
  • Uninsured driver coverage must match the mandatory liability coverage for bodily injury and death.
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP). The minimum PIP coverage requires at least $50,000 for medical expenses and income loss and $2,000 for funeral expenses.

Failure to have valid insurance is an infraction, which carries a fine of $150 to $1,500 and/or up to 15 days in jail. A civil penalty of $750 will also be imposed as well as a fee for each day without insurance. The driver's license will be revoked for one year. The owner's vehicle registration will be revoked and can be reinstated only after paying the civil fees and showing proof of insurance.

Sours: https://www.drivinglaws.org/resources/new-york-teen-driving.html

Permit junior

What's the Driving Age in California?

Provisional license w/ completed driver's ed course 

You can apply for a California provisional driver license at the age of 16 if you have completed your driver's ed course. This provisional license will have restrictions, so make sure you know what those are and follow them to the letter.

Provisional license without driver's ed course 

If you are 17½ years of age but not yet 18, you can apply for your provisional license without having to take the driver's education course. However, you will still need to get a learner's permit and complete at least 50 hours of supervised driving, 10 of which must be at night. After that, all you need to do to get your provisional license is to study for the written test and pass it. You will also need to pass a vision test. Bring your birth certificate, SS#, a completed DL 44 form, and your parent to sign the paperwork when you go to take the test and you will be able to get your provisional driver license right after you pass the test.

If you are just getting started with the driving process it may feel like forever before you'll be driving on your own. But don't worry, the time will pass soon enough and you'll be behind the wheel. The GDL process is designed and created to keep young, new drivers safer and get them used to driving in a controlled way and at a slower pace. Enjoy the different accomplishments and stages as you learn, and don't be in a hurry to rush the process.

Sours: https://driversed.com
SSAA Junior Safety Course

Junior Operator Law

Q.  I am 16 1/2 years old and I heard that there is a law that requires driver training before I can get my driver's license. What does the law require? 

A.  If you apply for a driver's license and are between the ages of 16 1/2 and 18 you must have possessed a learner's permit for at least six (6) months and will only be issued a "Junior Operator's License" (JOL), upon passing a road test, and only if:* You have successfully completed a driver education and training program approved by the Registrar which includes 30 hours of classroom instruction, six (6) [soon to be expanded to eight (8)] hours of in-car behind-the-wheel training and six (6) [soon to be reduced to four (4)] hours in-car as an observer of another student driver; * You have completed at least an additional 12 hours of supervised behind-the-wheel driving as shown by a certified statement provided by your parent or guardian;* You have had a learner's permit for at least six (6) months; and* You have had a "clean driving record" for a minimum of six (6) consecutive months immediately preceding the date you took your road test. The most significant effects of the law's requirements and restrictions are on the operation of a motor vehicle by a person in possession of a "Junior Operator's License." A basic purpose of the law is to provide you with a supervised opportunity to develop good driving skills, while being free of possible distractions caused by having friends your own age present while you are behind the wheel. Under the law, if you are a junior operator (between the ages of 16 1/2 and 18):* You may not operate a motor vehicle, within the first six (6) months after receiving a "Junior Operator's License" while any passenger under the age of 18 is in the vehicle (other than yourself or an immediate family member), unless you are accompanied by a person who is at least 21 years old, has at least one year of driving experience, holds a valid driver's license from Massachusetts or another state and is occupying a seat beside you. A junior operator who violates the passenger restriction shall be subject to a license suspension of up to 90 days. The six (6) month passenger restriction period will stop running when the suspension begins and the remainder of the restriction period will start running again when the suspension is completed.* As the holder of a "Junior Operator's License" (or Learner's Permit), you may not operate a motor vehicle during the hours of 12:00 a.m. (midnight) to 5:00 a.m. unless accompanied by your parent or your legal guardian.* You may not operate a motor vehicle requiring a commercial driver's license;* Your "Junior Operator's License" will be suspended for a substantial period of time if you are under 18 years of age at the time certain driving offenses involving alcohol or drugs are committed.* You will face a license suspension for a 2nd or subsequent offense for speeding or drag racing violations.

Q.  I am almost 16. Can I obtain my "Junior Operator's License" when I turn 16?  

A.  No. The law requires that you be at least 16 1/2 to obtain a "Junior Operator's License." You would have to obtain your Learner's Permit at age 16 and drive for six (6) months without any surchargeable incidents or motor vehicle offenses before you would be eligible to apply for a "Junior Operator's License" at age 16 1/2

Q.  I heard that a new driver with a JOL is not subject to the passenger restriction during the times when he is driving his friends to and from high school in a car pool. Is this true? 

A.  No. The law does not provide an exemption from the passenger restriction for a JOL driver who is driving his friends to or from school. Similarly, there is no exemption from the passenger restriction to transport friends to or from a prom or other school-related activity

Q.  The back of my JOL says that "passenger restriction may apply if under 18." How will a police officer who stops me know if I am subject to the restriction?

A.  Once a person is stopped by a Police Officer, the officer normally checks the validity and status of the driver's license by contacting the Registry of Motor Vehicles. If, as the driver, you possess a Junior Operator's License and there are unrelated persons under the age of 18 in the vehicle, and no licensed driver 21 years of age or over supervising your driving from the front passenger seat, the Officer will make an additional query. The Officer will also ask the Registry (either through a computer link in the police car or through a computer terminal at the police station) if you are subject to the passenger restriction. The Registry data link will confirm that you are or are not subject to the restriction

Q.  I am under 18 years of age. I know my parent must be in the car when I operate it with my Learner's Permit between the hours of 12:00 a.m. (midnight) and 5:00 a.m. Someone told me that the same will be true after I get my "Junior Operator's License." Is that right? What is the penalty if I get caught without my parent in the car? 

A.  If you are caught operating on a "Junior Operator's License" during those hours, without your parent present in the vehicle, you will be deemed to be operating a motor vehicle without being duly licensed. It is a criminal offense and you may be punished by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $200

Q.  I am afraid that I may be cited for driving without my parent in the car between the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m., in violation of the restrictions of my "Junior Operator's License." I am 17 1/2 and I drive myself to work on weekend nights at "Burger World." On Friday nights I usually get out of work at 11:30 p.m. and I can drive home in twenty minutes. Sometimes ( but not too often) the boss keeps us later and I don't get out until 12:00 a.m. (midnight). I do not want to lose my "Junior Operator's License" but I don't want to give up the job, either. Will I definitely be cited for violating the restriction if I am seen driving at 12:15 a.m.? 

A.  Section three (3) of the law says that between the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 1:00 a.m. and between 4:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m., the provisions of the law shall be enforced by law enforcement agencies only when a junior operator of a motor vehicle has been lawfully stopped for a violation of the motor vehicle laws or some other offense. This is called "secondary enforcement." However, it is still illegal for you to operate during those times without a parent present in the car.

Q  I am a single parent and my 17 year old son is going to apply for his "Junior Operator's License." He can go to the driver education course at school and that is not a problem. However, I work all day and I will probably not have the time to supervise the additional 12 hours of required driving experience. Can my brother do it? Can my brother and my uncle each supervise some of the required driving? Can I hire the driving school to do it? Parent Need Not Personally Supervise Additional 12 Hours of Driving. 

A.  You may designate your brother or any other person to supervise your son's 12 hours of driving experience if your brother or the other person is a validly licensed driver over the age of 21 and has at least one (1) year of driving experience. Your brother and your uncle can split the driving supervision, since the law does not require that only one person provide the 12 hours of supervised driving. You may also contract with any driving school offering such services to supervise the additional 12 hours of driving experience. You must make sure that your son is receiving the required 12 hours of instruction. You will have to certify, under oath, on your son's Driver's License application, that he did receive the 12 hours of supervised driving.

Sours: https://www.lexingtonma.gov/police-department-programs-and-services/pages/junior-operator-law

Now discussing:


794 795 796 797 798